Sangtae HaAssistant Professor
Department of Computer Science
University of Colorado at Boulder
Email: sangtae DOT ha AT colorado DOT edu
Office: 303-492-7031 FAX: 303-492-1112
1045 Regent Drive 430 UCB
Boulder CO, 80309-0430 USA
Prospective students: please check here.
- Nov. 30, 2016: I will co-chair the IEEE Fog World Congress 2017.
- Nov. 28, 2016: Our paper has been accepted to IEEE INFOCOM 2017 (292 out of 1395 = 20.93% acceptance rate)
- Jun. 10, 2016: I will be a guest editor for IEEE Communications Magazine Feature Topic on Fog Computing and Networking. Manuscript deadline is Sep. 1, 2016.
- Mar. 21, 2016: Our paper has been accepted to IEEE ICDCS 2016 (68 out of 386 = 17.6% aceptance rate).
- Feb. 19, 2016: Our paper has been accepted to ACM SIGMETRICS 2016 (28 out of 208 = 13.5% aceptance rate).
- Feb. 14, 2016: I gave a distinguished speeaker talk at ETRI, South Korea.
- Dec. 6, 2015: I gave a Distinguished Speaker talk at the Research and Innovation Symposium in the Internet of Things World Forum hosted by Cisco on Dec. 6.
- Sept. 26, 2015: I will co-chair the workshop on Smart Data Pricing in INFOCOM 2016.
- Sept. 15, 2015: Our paper, titled "Stable Sleep Mode Optimization for Energy Efficient DSL," has been accepted to IEEE Transactions on Communications (TCOM).
- Sept. 14, 2015: I delivered an invited talk at the first Asia-US Forum on Fog Networking for 5G and IoT.
- Aug. 17, 2015: My research, entitled NeTS: Small: Collaborative Research: Fog Networking: Architecture, Algorithms and Applications, was recently awarded $250K from the NSF.
- Aug. 06, 2015: Our paper, titled "Smart Data Pricing", has been accepted to the Communications of the ACM (CACM). The paper will appear in December.
- Jun. 24, 2015: Our paper has been accepted to IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC).
- Jun. 22, 2015: The Fog Networking workshop is successfully done and video recordings will be availble soon.
- Jun. 6, 2015: Our paper has been accepted to IEEE Transactions on Smart Grids (TSG).
- Apr. 29, 2015: I am invited to join IEEE INFOCOM 2016 TPC.
- Apr. 11, 2015: Our paper has been accepted to IEEE/ACM IWQoS.
- Apr. 1, 2015: My research, entitled "Low Latency Transport Framework for 5G," was recently awarded $90K from Samsung Electronics.
- Mar. 23, 2015: Our paper has been accpted to IEEE ICDCS 2015.
- Feb. 13, 2015: Zoomi, the successor of Doceoware that I co-founded in 2012, recently raised 4.4M.
- Jan. 22, 2015: I will co-chair the SECON workshop on Fog Networking for 5G and IoT.
- Jan. 20, 2015: CYRUS has been accpted to ACM EuroSys 2015.
- Dec. 18, 2014: My colleagues and I were awarded the INFORMS ISS Design Science Award 2014 for our work on Smart Data Pricing.
- Dec. 10, 2014: I will be a guest editor for IEEE Network Magazine special issue on Smart Data Pricing. Please consider submitting your article to this issue. Manuscript deadline is Aug. 1, 2015.
- Nov. 28, 2014: Our paper is accepted to Passive and Active Measurement (PAM) Conference 2015.
- Nov. 17, 2014: Two papers on SDP are accepted to IEEE INFOCOM 2015.
- Nov. 10, 2014: Our paper is accpeted to Transactions on Learning Technologies.
- Oct. 23, 2014: This Fobes article discusses DataMi, a startup I co-founded, as one of startups to watch.
- Sept. 17, 2014: IEEE ComSoc Technology News has published a special issue on our research efforts in "Smart Data Pricing"
- Sept. 15, 2014: The book "Smart Data Pricing" (ed. 1,536 pages, Wiley) edited by me and my colleagues from Princeton is now available from Amazon, Wiley and B&N.
- Aug. 25, 2014: I joined the University of Colorado at Boulder as an Assistant Professor.
- CSCI 4273/5273 & ECEN 5023: Network Systems [Fall 2016][Fall 2015]
- TLEN 5330: Data Communications 1 [Fall 2016] [Fall 2015] [Fall 2014]
- CSCI 7000-010: Advanced Internet Protocols [Spring 2016]
Postdocs and Students
- Dr. Youngbin Im (Postdoctoral Research Associte)
- Zhang Liu (PhD Student)
- Yu-Ju Lee (PhD Student)
- Jincao Zhu (PhD Student)
- Parisa Rahimzadeh (PhD Student)
- Ibrahim Ayad (PhD Student)
- Faraz Shamim (PhD Student)
- Mr. Ruediger Rill, Visiting Scholar, Zoomi Inc (2016 Fall - Current)
- Hieu Nguyen, Visiting PhD Student, Aalto University, Finland (2015 Fall - 2016 Spring)
- Prof. Kyuyong Shin, Korea Military Academy (2014 Fall - 2015 Fall)
- CYRUS: Client-defined privacY-protected Reliable cloUd Service
- Elastic Operating Systems
- Smart Data Pricing
- Individualized Learning
- Incentive Mechanisms for Cloud
- Multimedia Streaming
- Wireless Sensing and Localization
- P. Rahimzadeh, C. Joe-Wong, K. Shin, Y. Im, J. Lee and S. Ha, SVC-TChain: Incentivizing Good Behavior in Layered P2P Video Streaming, IEEE INFOCOM 2017 (292 out of 1395 = 20.93% acceptance rate).
- C. Joe-Wong, L. Zheng, S. Ha, S. Sen, C. Tan and M. Chiang, Smart Data Pricing in 5G Systems, to appear in Emerging Technologies for 5G Wireless Systems, Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, Z. Liu, F. Wong and M. Chiang, Mind Your Own Bandwidth, to appear in Fog Networking, Wiley & Sons, 2017.
- I. Kamitsos, S. Ha, L. Andrew, J. Bawa, D. Butnariu, H. Kim and M. Chiang, Optimal Sleeping: models and experiments for energy-delay tradeoff, International Journal of Systems Science: Operations & Logitics, June 2016.
- Y. Im, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, S. Sen, T. Kwon and M. Chiang, AMUSE: Empowering Users for Cost-Aware Offloading with Throughput-Delay Tradeoffs, IEEE Transcations on Mobile Computing (TMC), May 2016.
- C. Joe-Wong, Y. Im, K. Shin, and S. Ha, A Performance Analysis of Incentive Mechanism for Cooperative Computing, IEEE ICDCS, June 2016 (68 out of 386 = 17.6% acceptance rate).
- L. Zheng, C. Joe-Wong, C. Brinton, C. Tan, S. Ha, and M. Chiang, Viability of Virtual Cloud Providers, ACM Sigmetrics, June 2016 (28 out 208 = 13.46% acceptance rate).
- Z. Liu, E. Keller, and S. Ha, Mitigating Network Resurce Abuses and DDoS attaks with Client Puzzle based Software-Defined Networks, USENIX Network Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), Poster Session, Santa Clara, CA, March 2016.
- J. Chung, S. Ha and J. Hong, A Management Archiecture for Client-Defined Cloud Storage Services, International Journal of Network Management, vol 25, issue 6, pp435-453, 2015.
- C. Joe-Wong, I. Kamitsos and S. Ha, Inter-Datacenter Job Routing and Scheduling with Variable Costs and Deadlines, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, July 2015.
- F. Wong, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, Z. Liu and M. Chiang, Improving User QoE for Residential Broadband: Adaptive Traffic Management at the Network Edge, accepted to IEEE/ACM IWQoS, 2015 (20 out of 89 = 22.5% acceptance rate).
- S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha and M. Chiang, Smart Data Pricing, Communications of the ACM, vol 58, issue 12, Dec 2015.
- K. Shin, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, Y. Yi, I. Rhee and D. Reeves, T-Chain: General Incentive Scheme for Cooperative Computing, accepted to IEEE ICDCS 2015 (70 out of 543 = 12.89% acceptance rate).
- S. Kim, G. Lee, S. Ha, N. Sakata and M. Billinghurst, Automatically Freezing Live Video for Annotation during Remote Collaboration, accepted to Work In Progress, ACM CHI 2015.
- J. Chung, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, J. Hong and M. Chiang, CYRUS: Towards Client-Defined Cloud Storage, accepted to ACM EuroSys 2015 (32 out of 150 = 21.33% acceptance rate).
- C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, S. Sen, and M. Chiang, Do Mobile Data Plans Affect Usage? Results from a Pricing Trial with ISP Customers, accepted to PAM 2015 (27 out of 100 = 27% acceptance rate).
- C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, and M. Chiang, Sponsoring Mobile Data: An Economic Analysis of the Impact on Users and Content Providers, accepted to IEEE INFOCOM 2015 (316 out of 1640 = 19% acceptance rate).
- L. Zheng, C. Joe-Wong, C. W. Tan, S. Ha, and M. Chiang, Secondary Markets for Mobile Data: Feasibility and Benefits of Traded Data Plans, accepted to IEEE INFOCOM 2015 (316 out of 1640 = 19% acceptance rate).
- C. Brinton, R. Rill, S. Ha, M. Chiang, R. Smith and W. Ju, Individualization for Education at Scale: MIIC Design and Preliminary Evaluation, IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (accepted), Nov. 2014.
- S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha and M. Chiang, eds., Smart Data Pricing, Wiley and Sons, Sept. 2014. Amazon
- C. Joe-Wong, S. Sen and S. Ha, Offering Supplementary Network Technologies: Adoption Behavior and Offloading Benefits, IEEE Transactions on Networking, 2014
- A. Ghosh, S. Ha, E. Crabbe and J. Rexford Scalable Multi-Class Traffic Management in Data Center Backbone Networks, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 2013
- S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha and M. Chiang, Smart Data Pricing (SDP): Economic Solutions to Network Congestion, SIGCOMM eBook on Recent Advances in Networking, Volume I, 2013
- S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha and M. Chiang A Survey of Broadband Data Pricing: Past Proposals, Current Plans, and Future Trends, ACM Computing Surveys 2013
- S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, J. Bawa and M. Chiang When the Pricing is Right: Enabling Time-Dependent Pricing for Broadband Networks, ACM SIGCHI 2013
- C. Joe-Wong, S. Sen and S. Ha, Offering Supplementary Wireless Technologies: Adoption Behavior and Offloading Benefits, IEEE INFOCOM 2013, Turin, Italy
- Y. Im, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, S. Sen, T. Kwon and M. Chiang, AMUSE: Empowering Users for Cost-Aware Offloading with Throughput-Delay Tradeoffs, IEEE INFOCOM 2013 (mini-conference), Turin, Italy
- M. Sheng, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, F. Wong and S. Sen, Smart Data Pricing: Lessons from Trial Planning, IEEE INFOCOM Workshop 2013 - Smart Data Pricing (in conjunction with IEEE INFOCOM 2013), Turin, Italy
- S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong and S. Ha, The Economics of Shared Data Plans, Workshop on Information Technologies and Systems (WITS) 2012
- S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha and M. Chiang, Incentivizing Time-Shifting of Data: A Survey of Time-Dependent Pricing for Internet Access, IEEE Communications Magazine, 2012
- S. Ha, S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, Y. Im and M. Chiang, TUBE: Time-Dependent Pricing for Mobile Data, ACM SIGCOMM, Helsinki,2012 PDF
- I. Kamitsos, P. Tsiaflakis, K. Kerpez, S.Ha and M. Chiang, Energy Efficient DSL via Heterogeneous Sleeping States: Optimization Structures and Operational Guidelines, IEEE Globecom, 2012
- C. Joe-Wong, S. Sen, S. Ha and M. Chiang, Optimized Day-Ahead Pricing for the Smart-Grid with Device-Specific Scheduling Flexibility, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, JSAC Smart Grid Series, July 2012
- S. Ha, S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, R. Rill and M. Chiang, Demo: A System for Time-Dependent Pricing , MobiSys demo, Low Wood Bay, UK, 2012. Video
- H. Kim, S. Ha, M. Chiang, D. Kang and J. Kim, Iterative Resource Pooling for Bandwidth Allocation in TDM-PON: Algorithm, Convergence and Experimental Evaluation, Photonic Network Communications, Feb. 2012.
- S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha and M. Chiang, Pricing Data: A Look at Past Proposals, Current Plans, and Future Trends, submitted to ACM Computing Surveys, Jan 2012
- S. Ha, C. Joe-Wong, S. Sen and M. Chiang, Pricing by Timing: Innovation Broadband Data Plans, SPIE OPTO Broadband Access Communication Technologies VI Conference, Paper 8282-12, San Francisco, Jan, 2012
- J. Jiang, T. Lan, S. Ha, M. Chen and M. Chiang, Joint VM Placement and Routing for Data Center Traffic Engineering, IEEE INFOCOM mini conference, Orlando, Florida, 2012
- S. Ha, S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, J. Mifkovich, R. Rill, Y. Im, D. Butnariu, J. Bawa and Mung Chiang, Demo: Pricing by Timing of Mobile Data , IEEE INFOCOM demo, Orlando, Florida, 2012.
- I. Kamitsos, L. Andrew, H. Kim, S. Ha and M. Chiang, Better Energy-Delay Tradeoff via Server Resource Pooling , ICNC 2012 (Invited).
- I. Kamitsos, P. Tsiaflakis, S. Ha and M. Chiang, Energy Efficient DSL Broadband Access via Stable Sleep Mode Optimization , under submission.
- C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, S. Sen and M. Chiang, Pricing Broadband by Timing: From Optimization to Implementation , under submission.
- I. Kamitsos, P. Tsiaflakis, S. Ha and M. Chiang, Stable Sleeping in DSL Broadband Access: Feasibility and Tradeoffs , IEEE Globecom 2011.
- Y. Wang, I. Rhee and S. Ha, Augment SCTP Multi-Streaming with Pluggable Scheduling , IEEE INFOCOM Workshops (GI 2011), Shanghai, China
- C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha and M. Chiang, Time-Dependent Internet Pricing , ITA 2011.
- C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha and M. Chiang, Time-Dependent Broadband Pricing: Feasibility and Benefits, ICDCS 2011.
- S. Ha and I. Rhee, Taming the Elephants: New TCP Slow Start, Computer Networks: The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking, 2011. Technical Report Errata Patch. Recent results.
- M. Chiang, P. Hande, H. Kim, S. Ha and R. Calderbank, Pricing Broadband: Survey and Open Problems, ICUFN 2010 (invited).
- S. Ha, N. Dukkipati, V. Subramanian, F. Bonomi and I. Rhee, BLAST: A practical loss tolerant TCP for WAN optimizers, Computer Networks (under revision).
- A. Warrier, S. Janakiraman, S. Ha and I. Rhee, DiffQ: Differential Backlog Congestion Control for Multi-hop Wireless Networks, submitted to IEEE Transactions on Networking.
- A. Warrier, S. Janakiraman, S. Ha and I. Rhee, DiffQ: Differential Backlog Congestion Control for Multi-hop Wireless Networks, IEEE INFOCOM 2009. PDF Technical Report Video
- H. Cai, D. Eun, S. Ha, I. Rhee and L. Xu, Stochastic convex ordering for multiplicative decrease internet congestion control, Computer Networks: The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networks, Volume 53, Issue 3, Feb. 2009, Page(s):365-381, 2009. PDF
- S. Ha, I. Rhee and L. Xu, CUBIC: A New TCP-Friendly High-Speed TCP Variant, ACM SIGOPS Operating System Review, Volume 42, Issue 5, July 2008, Page(s):64-74, 2008. PDF
- I. Rhee, L. Xu and S. Ha, CUBIC for Fast Long-Distance Networks, IETF Internet Draft, 2008. draft-rhee-tcpm-cubic-02.txt
- S. Ha and I. Rhee, Hybrid Slow Start for High-Bandwidth and Long-Distance Networks, PFLDnet, Manchester, UK, 2008. PDF Slides
- L. Andrew, C. Marcondes, S. Floyd, L. Dunn, R. Guillier, W. Gang, L. Eggert, S. Ha and I. Rhee, Towards a Common TCP Evaluation Suite, PFLDnet, Manchester, UK, 2008. PDF
- A. Warrier, S. Ha, P. Wason, I. Rhee and J. H. Kim, DiffQ: Differential Backlog Congestion Control for Multi-hop Wireless Networks, Demo, IEEE SECON 2008. PDF
- S. Ha, A. Warrier and I. Rhee, TCP Problem under high bandwidth delay product networks - Demo III (B), The Future of TCP: Train-wreck or Evolution?, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 2008. HTML
- S. Ha, L. Le, I. Rhee and L. Xu, Impact of Background Traffic on Performance of High-Speed TCP Variant Protocols, Computer Networks: The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking, Volume 15, Issue 4, Aug. 2007, Page(s):852-865, 2007. PDF
- H. Cai, D. Eun, S. Ha, I. Rhee and L. Xu, Stochastic Ordering for Internet Congestion Control and its Applications, IEEE INFOCOM 2007. PDF Slides
- H. Cai, D. Eun, S. Ha, I. Rhee and L. Xu, Stochastic Ordering for Internet Congestion Control, PFLDnet, Marina Del Rey, LA, 2007. PDF Slides
- S. Ha, Y. Kim, L. Le, I. Rhee and L. Xu, A Step toward Realistic Performance Evaluation of High-Speed TCP Variants, PFLDnet, Nara, Japan, 2006. PDF Slides
- S. Ha, Y. Kim, L. Le, I. Rhee and L. Xu, A Step toward realistic evaluation of high-speed TCP protocols, Web-based Technical Report, NCSU 2006. HTML PDF
- M. Chiang, S. Ha, S. Sen and C. Joe-Wong A System for Offering Intelligent Flat Rate (IFR) Data Plans, Invention #12-2726-1, U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 61/523,835, Aug. 2011.
- M. Chiang, S. Ha, S. Sen and C. Joe-Wong A Middleware for Supporting Pricing Solutions in Broadband Networks, Invention #11-2711-1, U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 61/496,611, June 2011.
- M. Chiang, S. Ha, S. Sen and C. Joe-Wong User Interface Design for Time-dependent Pricing Applications, Invention #11-2710-1, U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 61/496,731, June 2011.
- M. Chiang, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha and S. Sen, System and Methods for Time Dependent Internet Pricing , Invention #11-2686-1, U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 61/447,896, Mar. 2011.
- N. Dukkipati, S. Ha, V. Subramanian and F. Bonomi, Increasing Transmission Rate to a Remote Device In Response to Attributing Information Loss at Not Being a Result of Network Congestion, European Patent#: US 2010060517, Dec 15, 2010, U.S. Publication#: US 2011/0158253 A1, Jun 30, 2011. PDF
- S. Ha and H. Cha, Design and Implementation of Embedded Linux, Programmer's World, Special Issue 3-1, Apr. 2001.
- S. Ha and H. Cha, Embedded Linux for Network Devices, Linux@Works, Nov. 2001.
- S. Ha and H. Cha, Compare Embedded Linux with Other Real-Time Operating Systems, Linux@Works, Oct. 2001.
Editors & Chairs
- 2013 - Current Associate Editor, IEEE Internet of Things (IoT) Journal
- 2014 Co-Editor, Book: Smart Data Pricing, 2013, John Wiley & Sons
- 2013 General Co-Chairs IEEE INFOCOM Smart Data Pricing Workshop
- 2012 - 2014, Editorial Board, IEEE ComSoc CTN
- 2015 IEEE INFOCOM SDP Workshop, IEEE SECON
- 2014 IEEE INCOFOM SDP Workshop, IEEE Globecom SAC, IPCCC, IEEE PIMRC, WiOpt
- 2013 IEEE INFOCOM SDP Workshop, IEEE Globecom SAC, IEEE Green Multimedia, IEEE PIMRC, WiOpt
- 2012 IPCCC, IEEE NAS, WiOpt, CISS
- 2011 WiOpt
- 2010 PFLDNeTS
- 2014 Mentor, Faculty-Student Mentor Program, University of Colorao at Boulder
- 2011 Judge, Princeton Undergraduate Research Symposium
- 2010 Session Chair, CISS
- INFORMS ISS Design Science Award 2014
- Princeton IP Accelerator Fund Winner ($100K), DataMi Team, with Mung Chiang, Soumya Sen, Carlee Joe-Wong. NJ News
- "TUBE-ing over Digital Divide", Vodafone Wireless Innovations Project 2011 Finalist, San Francisco, CA, with Mung Chiang, Soumya Sen, Carlee Joe-Wong. HTML
Sangtae Ha is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Colorado at Boulder with a joint appointment in the Interdisciplinary Telecommunications Program. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from North Carolina State University. He co-founded the Princeton EDGE Lab as its first Associate Director in 2009 and led its research team as an Associate Research Scholar at Princeton University from 2010 to 2013. He is a co-founder and the founding CTO/VP Engineering of DataMi, a startup company on mobile networks, and is a technical consultant to a few startups. He serves as an Associate Editor for IEEE Internet of Things (IoT) Journal and an Editorial Board for IEEE CTN. He is an IEEE Senior Member and was a general co-chair of the Smart Data Pricing workshop in INFOCOM 2013. He received the INFORMS ISS Design Science Award in 2014.
Last updated: 15th Sept 2014